UPDATE: Congratulations to Jennifer Heil (Gold, moguls) and Julia Murray (Silver, ski cross), two USANA Athletes who earned medals over the weekend at the FIS Freestyle World Championships. Way to go!
Careful readers of the USANA Athletes Update posts will recall that in this space last month I mentioned a big announcement was on its way. Well, that monumental announcement turned out to be this — A Perfect Match: USANA and WTA Expand Partnership.
We’re now a little over a month into the new agreement, and what a month it’s been! Not only did we introduce readers to the six USANA Brand Ambassadors — Kim Clijsters, Liezel Huber, Zheng Jie, Melanie Oudin, Samantha Stosur, and Aleksandra Wozniak — but one of those women also just captured a Grand Slam title!
Big congratulations to Kim Clijsters, who won her first Australian Open championship and her fourth singles Grand Slam title. The win vaulted her to No. 2 in the world!
Keep an eye out for Kim, the other brand ambassadors, and the rest of the elite WTA athletes as they compete around the world in the coming months. We’re getting excited for a few upcoming events in particular: The Abierto Mexicano TELCEL in Acapulco, Mexico (Feb. 21), the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California (March 9), and the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami, Florida (March 22)!
Kim isn’t the only USANA Athlete who earned a title recently. Boxer Timothy “Desert Storm” Bradley (27-0) defended his WBO title and earned a WBC belt after winning a unanimous technical decision over Devon Alexander at the Pontiac Silverdome on Jan. 29.
Days later, Olympic skier Jennifer Heil, left, captured gold in the women’s single moguls at the FIS Freestyle World Championships. Fantastic! Keep an eye on the event throughout the weekend for additional USANA-sponsored skiers.
Speaking of Boxers and Skiers…
Did you like that segue? Thanks. So speaking of boxers, USANA’s own Mike Lee is getting ready for his next fight in Las Vegas on Feb. 26. Check out the above video he recorded talking about the upcoming event. We’ll have more on the blog later this month.
Also, you might have seen this news on our USANA Athletes Facebook Page: It looks like it’s official. Former world champ boxer Jose Antonio Rivera is making his comeback on April 9. Best of luck to El Gallo! Check him out on Facebook, where he posted the following on Feb. 2:
“Finally broke 175 lbs today. Whew, thank you USANA for your RESET program, Nutrimeal and providing us all with Optimal Nutrition! Another 14 lbs to go by April 8th. I will admit as you get older losing weight gets harder, LOL!”
And speaking of skiing, in mid-January eight U.S. Women’s Ski Jumping members were named to the 2011 World Junior and Nordic World Ski Championship teams. Congratulations!
On the Ice
If you haven’t seen the USANA Management Team’s Day at the Utah Olympic Oval, you must watch the above video (or view on YouTube) right now. It is incredible!
In related news, the U.S. Speedskating Team continues to perform well on the ice. We are looking forward to Long Track World Cup racing, which is coming to the Utah Olympic Oval Feb. 18-19! By the way, are you a member of Speedskater Nation yet?
Notes from the UK
Thank you to Justin Morris, an Associate in the UK, for passing along a few notes about athletes he’s run into on his side of the world.
- Soccer club AFC Bournemouth is currently second in Division 2 and is having an outstanding season. The new management of the team is being run by Steve Fletcher and Lee Bradbury, who are USANA Associates, too. The players are loving the Essentials along with Procosa II and Nutrimeal and Nutrition Bars.
- The The LCA — League Cricketers’ Association — joined, along with The Sports Academy, which is one the largest golf academies in the UK.
- The Great Britain Short Track Speed Skating team, right, continues to perform well and is looking forward to the season.
- Swimmer George Bovell finished first in the 50 meter freestyle at the South Africa International Invitational on Jan. 30.
- Windsurfer Nikola Girke sent along an update and noted she finished sixth overall in the Alex Caviglia Blue Water Classic in early January. She also just wrapped up the first two races of the 2011 World Cup season, finishing 12th and ninth, at events in Miami.
- Cyclist Daniel Carruthers contributed a 12 Tips for Winter Cycling post for Matador Network. Tips No. 7 and 8 are our favorites, but we’re a bit biased and also big fans of Nutrimeal and Nutrition Bars.
- The Utah Grizzlies are in the midst of a phenomenal season and currently sit atop the Mountain Division standings in the ECHL, which is the leading professional developmental league for the American Hockey and the National Hockey League.
Follow USANA Athletes on Twitter
We created a specific Twitter list that includes several USANA Athletes. This is a great place to read about what our athletes are up to between these posts (and much more that won’t fit here). Check it out…
Many of the mentioned athletes are either distributors or dedicated users who have received compensation for their partnership and/or complimentary USANA products.