From the USANA Test Kitchen: Garden Vegetable Soup
People have started acting like fall is just around the corner. They’re getting excited about the cooler temperatures and the changing colors. Problem is, it’s still really hot.
Quite honestly, this insanely hot summer has me questioning whether we’re ever going to experience autumn again.
So, even though I really love making and eating soup, it hasn’t really been on my mind these days. But when I came across this recipe for Garden Vegetable Soup it sounded like the perfect way to beckon in fall, while still taking advantage of all of the fresh, summer vegetables.
This recipe is unbelievably simple and lets the produce speak for itself.
Of course, like every good soup recipe, the ingredients are really just suggestions. Substitute, add and subtract to your heart’s content. This version is vegan, but if you’re a meat-eater, switch out the vegetable stock for chicken broth or add in some sausage.
Garden Vegetable Soup
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 c. chopped leeks (white part only)
- 2 c. carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds
- 2 c. peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 c. fresh green beans, broken into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 4 c. peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 ears corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 c. packed, chopped fresh parsley
- 1-2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil. Add in the chopped leeks and a pinch of salt. Sweat for about 7-8 minutes.
- Add in carrots, potatoes and green beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vegetable broth and increase the heat to high to bring to a simmer. Add in tomatoes, corn and pepper then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add parsley and lemon juice. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
We’re proud to bring you the freshest content on the web! Follow USANA on Twitter, like our USANA Facebook page and enjoy the latest videos on the official USANA YouTube channel.
Learn what USANA is doing to make the world a better place.
The future of personalized health and nutrition is now available with USANA’s True Health Assessment.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!