It seems like every year I make a resolution to eat a healthier, more balanced diet, but somehow by February, I’m back to the quick and easy meals in exchange for the things I know I should be eating.
I feel like salads would be a good way to eat healthier, but sometimes it’s hard to get excited about a salad. They don’t sound very filling or fulfilling.
Also, on cold, winter days, I want something warm and comforting. Not a crisp, cool salad.
Not to mention that in winter, the produce section is a little lacking.
This salad takes away all of my excuses. It’s warm, it’s in season, and totally fulfilling. Brussels sprouts have 3g of protein per serving and 3.3g of dietary fiber. Add in the protein and fiber from the Berry Nutty bars and I promise, you won’t feel hungry after you finish this up.
Warm Berry Nutty Brussels Sprout Salad (Serves 6)
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh rosemary
- ½ c. slivered almonds
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Berry Nutty bars, chopped
- ¼ c. Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Spread out onto a baking sheet and bake at 425˚ for about 15 minutes or until tender.
2. In a small skillet, gently roast slivered almonds for a few minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Toss Brussels sprouts with the maple syrup until well coated.
4. Sprinkle in almonds, Berry Nutty bars and Parmesan cheese (optional) and toss to combine. Serve warm.
Learn what USANA is doing to make the world a better place.
The future of personalized health and nutrition is now available with USANA’s True Health Assessment.