Many of you may be fans of skiing and snowboarding, and all of you are fans of USANA. When you put that together you get the USANA Snowboardcross Cup. This USANA sponsored event is the scene for intense snowboarding and skicross competition. The USANA Snowboardcross Cup features a parallel giant slalom and both individual and team snowboardcross events plus individual skicross events. The event took place this past weekend, but it will air on NBC and NBC sports network this Saturday. Here’s the schedule:
- NBC — USANA Snowboardcross Cup – Dec. 22 at 3 p.m. EST
- NBC Sports Network — USANA Snowboardcross Cup – Dec. 22 at 2 p.m. EST
Check out some crazy good action photos from the event. All event images are by Sarah Brunson, U.S. Skiing/Snowboarding.
New USANA Sponsored Athletes
Team USANA has sponsored four new athletes in the past month. We are excited to have them part of our team. They are all active on Facebook and Twitter, and I hope we can give them our support as they dominate their sports.
- Billy Demong (@BillyDemong) is the first American to win gold in Nordic combined skiing. He won the gold at the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver. He also won a silver that year in the Nordic combined team event. In 2009, he won the gold at the world championship. He has stood in 21 World Cup podiums and 9 of those he won. Billy is based in Park City, Utah. He is married and has a son. Below is a video of Billy winning gold in Nordic combined.
- Grete Eliassen (@GRETEGIRL) is a freestyle skier and the only female skier to have medaled in both the halfpipe and slopestyle X Games events. Grete (rhymes with feta) speaks both English and Norwegian — her father was from Norway and her mother is from the midwest. Grete has won the U.S. Open four times and has won two golds, two silvers, and two bronzes at the Winter X Games. She is also known for her incredible feat of setting the women’s ski jump world record at 31 feet! Below is also a video introducing Grete and what her sport entails.
- Bryan Fletcher (@SkiFletch) is a Nordic combined skier who has overcame many obstacles to become a world champion. Bryan was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 3 and was on chemotherapy for seven years. He eventually beat it and is now a top 10 Nordic skier. He won his first World Cup in 2012 in Norway. He is well on his way to competing in Sochi 2014.
- Taylor Fletcher (@TFletchernordic ) is a Nordic combined skier who has really stepped up his game in 2012. He has been on six Continental Cup podiums in seven races. He competed at the 2010 Winter Games and is looking forward to Sochi 2014. He will join his brother, Bryan, at many competitions this year.
U.S. Women’s Ski Jumping
Sarah Hendrickson (@schendrickson) has already won a World Cup and making headlines at others. The U.S. Women’s Ski Jumping team is doing very well as well. In Austria, five U.S. women placed in the top 12. The team is very deep and is way excited to compete at Sochi 2014.
What is Snow Globe? It’s USSA’s YouTube channel. I would ask all of you to go check it out. It is fun, clean and entertaining. The host, known as Uncle E, leads you through what is going on at USSA, who is competing, and he interviews many of the athletes. It is a good way to stay in touch with everything that is going on in the USSA. Go on to YouTube and check it out. You won’t regret it.
Watch USANA Snowboardcross Cup and Win USSA Swag
In conjunction with the airing of the USANA Snowboardcross Cup on NBC Saturday, we’re giving away some awesome U.S. Snowboarding gear to the people who watch.
Two lucky winners will receive 201 Flex Fit hats (men’s 6 7/8- 7 1/4) and two people will win Peter Grimm cadet hats (women’s adjustable). All of the hats are embroidered with U.S. Snowboarding logos.
How to win:
- Following the NBC broadcast, we’ll be posting questions on the USANA Athletes Facebook page, the TeamUSANA Twitter account, the USANA Health Sciences, Inc. Facebook page and the USANAinc Twitter account.
- Viewers will have one hour to post the answer in the Facebook comment field or tweet a reply.
- Each question will be labeled: “USANA Snowboardcross Cup Question.”
- Winners will be randomly selected from the pool of correct answers and will be notified within three hours of contest end.
- This contest is open to residents of the United States only.
- Read the official contest rules.