If you’re up to the challenge of shedding a few extra pounds, you’ll want every advantage you can get. This means not only eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and finally putting your gym membership to use, but also taking the right supplements to support your fitness-focused lifestyle.
Luckily for you, USANA offers a variety of products with nutrients to help you with many different aspects of weight loss.
If you’re a woman who might get pregnant and needs a little extra iron, you should be taking a quality prenatal supplement, such as USANA’s Prenatal Essentials.
Fortunately for you, the Prenatal Essentials contain iron, which is necessary for red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout the body. If you’ve ever had a particularly tough workout session in an effort to burn calories, you know your body needs as much oxygen as it can get.
Without sufficient iron, you can feel tired and fatigued, which will make it even harder to meet any fitness or weight-loss goals you may have.
Build Your Bones
Weak bones and pain caused by exercise can discourage you from staying active. Enter calcium and vitamin D. This powerful duo — found in Active Calcium™, the Essentials, and even Nutrimeal™ — makes all the difference for your skeletal system. Calcium helps maintain strong bones, while vitamin D enhances calcium absorption and utilization.
Not convinced you need more Active Calcium in your life? Some research also indicates supplementing with these micronutrients may play a role in weight control, which means you have nothing to lose but extra pounds.
Mega Weight Loss
You’ve probably already heard a great deal about how omega-3s are great for your brain, but they’re also terrific for your body. Omega-3s, such as those found in BiOmega™ and BiOmega Jr.™, can aid in weight loss. This might be due in part to the fact that DHA and EPA (components of omega-3 fatty acids) contribute to blood flow to the muscles during exercise.
Of course, it’s not a magical fat-melting pill, but when combined with a healthy diet and exercise, a fish oil supplement can make a difference in your waistline.
On top of this, omega-3s are great for helping you stay active as you age. They can help prevent muscle deterioration in the elderly when taken in conjunction with exercise.
Mind Your Meals
If you want to lose weight, meals have to be about more than just cutting calories. You also have to make sure you’re getting enough of the good stuff — specifically fiber and protein. Fiber will keep you feeling full long after you finish your meal. This can help keep you from overeating later in the day, and it can even reduce the total number of calories you consume.
Eating plenty of protein helps promote muscle protein synthesis. Even if you’re not looking to bulk up, strong muscles are important because they burn calories even while at rest, which helps promote a lean body. Additionally, it can slow the natural muscle loss that occurs with age, which can help you stay active for many years to come.
If you want a convenient way to get protein and fiber in your meals, make sure to try a combo shake of Nutrimeal and Fibergy™ Plus. It’s quick, delicious, and it will set your body on the right track for weight loss. Plus, when you want a tasty snack that’s packed with protein, be sure to reach for a USANA Protein Snack in delicious flavors such as Choco Chip™.
- Major GC, Alarie FP, Doré J, Tremblay A. Calcium plus vitamin D supplementation and fat mass loss in female very low-calcium consumers: potential link with a calcium-specific appetite control. Br J Nutr. 2009;101(5):659-63.
- Nathan Gray. NUTRAingredients.com. Fish oil may protect against muscle deterioration in the elderly: Pilot study. 7 Sep 2012. Available athttp://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Fish-oil-may-protect-against-muscle-deterioration-in-the-elderly-Pilot-study?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright. Accessed Jan 2014.
- Smith GI, Atherton P, Reeds DN, et al. Dietary omega-3 fatty acid supplementation increases the rate of muscle protein synthesis in older adults: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011;93(2):402-12.
- Stebbins CL, Hammel LE, Marshal BJ, et al. Effects of dietary omega-3 polyunsaturated Fatty acids on the skeletal-muscle blood flow response to exercise in rats. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2010;20(6): 475–86.
- Tremblay A, Gilbert JA. Human obesity: is insufficient calcium/dairy intake part of the problem?. J Am Coll Nutr. 2011;30(5 Suppl 1):449S-53S.
- Zemel MB. Role of calcium and dairy products in energy partitioning and weight management. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;79(5):907S-912S.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
*Individual results may vary. RESET weight-management system lowers your daily caloric intake and recommends moderate exercise for best results. Average results
Learn what USANA is doing to make the world a better place.
The future of personalized health and nutrition is now available with USANA’s True Health Assessment.