The PB&J is a classic lunch sandwich. I’m a huge fan. I ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all through my elementary school years. And I still do today — usually on English muffins, though.
My jelly of choice: Concord Grape. I haven’t strayed too far from this staple, but I also love homemade jams and jellies. Unfortunately, they can have a lot of added sugar.
Luckily there’s a secret alternative to traditional pectin-made jam: chia seeds. Chia seeds, like the Chia Pets (remember those?), soak up liquids and help thicken whatever it’s in. For instance, I have overnight oatmeal every morning for breakfast. As a key ingredient, the chia seeds help set the oatmeal.
The awesome thing about this Rev3-Strawberry Jam recipe — besides using Rev3 Energy® Drink, obviously — is you can replace the strawberries with just about any fruit. I really wish peaches were in season right now, because a Rev3-Strawberry-Peach Jam would be delightful.
While this chia seed jam doesn’t have the same firm texture as other jams, it still spreads well and can be mixed with anything.
Now if I were still a kid, I might be a bit hesitant to try something with so many visible seeds. But if you aren’t bothered by a few seeds in your jam, this will be your new jam.
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. Rev3 Energy® Drink
- 2 Tbsp. + 1–2 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey or agave nectar (optional)
- Place strawberries in a saucepan over medium heat and cook on the stove for five minutes. While cooking, use a potato masher to mash the strawberries until it becomes the consistency you like — lumpy or smooth.
- Remove pan from the stove and stir in the lemon juice, Rev3, and honey or agave nectar (if desired). Stir in two tablespoons of the chia seeds and let stand for five minutes or until thickened. Add in more chia seeds for thicker consistency.
- Cool jam to room temperature and transfer to a half-pint mason jar, or other container, and store in fridge. Jam will thicken as it chills.
- Enjoy on toast, in yogurt or straight from the jar!
Nutrition information (for the whole jar!):
- 305 calories
- 10 g fat
- 56 g carbs
- 16.6 g fiber
- 35 g sugar
Learn what USANA is doing to make the world a better place.
The future of personalized health and nutrition is now available with USANA’s True Health Assessment.