Can a month change your life? What do you think?
I think “Yes.” In fact, I don’t think you need a month, or a week, or even a day.
Life changes in mere moments. Split-second decisions. One minute you’re sitting in a waiting room next to a stranger, and three years later, you’re walking down the aisle to marry the love of your life. One moment you’re chatting with the guy sitting next to you on an airplane, and two months later, you have a job offer at his business.
It all comes down to the decisions you make in the little moments of each day. Yeses and nos. But here’s the catch: it’s the hours and days after those decisions that dictate the direction you’ll head.
So, what split-second decisions can you make each day over the next 28 days to make healthy changes that will last a lifetime?
- Decide to get to bed on time. If you need to, set an alarm on your phone as a reminder to get to bed for the seven to nine hours of sleep your body needs to function at its best. When you get enough sleep, you’ll make healthier decisions during the day and you won’t snack late at night.
- Decide to make exercise a habit. Don’t make exercise a decision you make every day—make it an automatic “yes” that happens no matter what else you have on your plate. This article has a few tips on how small habits can support your overall goal of getting moving. Personally, I tell myself that I only need to exercise for 15 or 20 minutes, and that if I’m still tired, I can quit. But usually after I put in some time, I’m ready for a much longer workout.
- Decide to take time for yourself. Tell your fam you’ll get back to them in 10, shut the bedroom door, and take some deep, cleansing breaths. Lie down. Close your eyes. Turn your palms up. Clear your mind and give yourself the okay to rid yourself of negativity in your thoughts. Here are some additional benefits of deep breathing.
- Decide to eat to live, not live to eat. Food is fuel. Realizing this makes choosing an apple over Cheetos much easier. (I’m not promising you won’t be tempted, but still.) Your body is a machine, and if you feed it junk, you’re not going to feel your best. Feed it real, whole foods, and you’ll be surprised how quickly your junk food cravings begin to disappear—your body will yearn for nutritious foods.
- Decide that your health is a priority. Look, I’m not delusional. I know life pulls us all in a lot of different directions. But your priorities are what will guide your life from one moment to the next, from day to day, month to month, year to year. Your best life is a healthy life. Decide right now that you believe your health is a priority, and that decision will serve you well for years to come. That one decision can help you remember to take your supplements every day. That one decision will inform your choices at the grocery store and how you spend your personal time. That one decision can have you reaching for water instead of Diet Coke. That one decision can make all the difference in the world to you—and to your family.
So, what difference can you make in your life in 28 days? If you put your mind to it and decide to take these five action items to heart, I think you can make a huge difference in how healthy you feel, how much energy you have, and your mental health in just 28 days. Are you ready to find out what you can accomplish? Get after it!
Learn what USANA is doing to make the world a better place.
The future of personalized health and nutrition is now available with USANA’s True Health Assessment.